Posts tagged ‘becoming’
February 4, 2014
So, there are several things I don’t particularly want to think about tonight as I put together this post and one thing in particular that has been spinning in my mind all day. regarding the most unusual process of obtaining a doctoral degree. The things I don’t want to think about I’ll just list in boring old bullets because if I don’t, they’ll just keep trying to come out as I write.
- losing another cohort member
- creating the course schedule aka my first massive task as a sr. AD
- upcoming AIGA conference where once more I feel like I’ll be coming out about DE to a group of very entrenched face-to-face-studio-only educators…all of whom I’m totally intimidated
- assignment 1 and those ridiculous research questions that have now reached epic fear status in my own head
- the fact that I didn’t practice piano enough this week and have a lesson in less then 24 hours
Whew….glad that’s out of my mind. And I can safely thrust those worries to the anonymous void that is the internet and see what happens.
So the one thing that has kept on coming back to my mind all day today which has to do with a doctoral journey on a macro level is this idea of “becoming.” When I tell people that I’m working on my doctorate and have just been promoted into a senior associate dean role, it seems that they inevitably are impressed and then immediately ask me how I manage to juggle my time and get it all done because clearly it must take a ton of time to lead a team and read intellectual stuff and write papers and do all the nebulous things that people think of when they’re just peering into your context and not actually there.